Carrasco Family Law Blog

« Back to Home

Been Issued A Traffic Violation? 4 Situations That Require Legal Assistance

Posted on

If you've been slapped with a traffic violation and you know you deserved the citation, you can save yourself time and money by paying the fine. However, traffic violations aren't always that cut and dry. In fact, there are times when the best thing you can do is fight the citation in court. If you've received a traffic violation and you don't think you deserved it, consult an attorney. If you're not sure your traffic violation requires legal assistance, take a look at the list provided below. If any of these situations relate to your current situation, you need to seek legal advice from a traffic violation attorney. 

You've Received a Traffic Camera Ticket

If you received a ticket in the mail for a traffic camera violation then you should speak to an attorney as soon as possible, especially if you know you didn't run a red light. You may think that camera tickets are impossible to fight, but that's not the case. Each time a violation occurs, a recording is taken of the event. If you've received a traffic camera violation, you have the right to view the video footage. Unfortunately, the footage can be difficult to obtain, which is why you need an attorney. Once you hire an attorney, they can obtain a copy of the video, which can be used to prove you didn't commit the violation. 

You Can't Afford a Blemished Driving Record

If you drive for a living, you can't afford to have a blemished driving record. Unfortunately, traffic violations go on your permanent driving record. If you're worried that a traffic violation will jeopardize your employment, speak to an attorney. They may be able to help you avoid the citation. 

You Don't Understand the Ticket You Received

If you've received a traffic violation that you just don't understand, and the issuing police officer refused to provide any insight, sit down with an attorney as soon as possible. You should be able to understand the violation you're accused of committing. If the citation is confusing or ambiguous, don't pay the fine until you understand the facts. 

You Question the Officer Who Issued the Citation

Finally, if you have questions about the officer who issued the citation, you need to hire an attorney. This is particularly true if the officer acted unprofessionally during the traffic stop or they have a reputation in the community for issuing questionable citations. 

If you have questions or concerns about a traffic violation you've received, speak to an attorney near you as soon as possible. You can reach out to legal professionals like Kevin T Conway Esq Pc for more information.