Carrasco Family Law Blog

« Back to Home

Tips for Filing for Expedited Processing of an Immigration Application

Posted on

The process to receive a green card or visa can take months or even years. In many instances, the delays are not your fault and is just a natural part of the process. If you are in need of expedited processing of your application, you can make a special request to immigration officials. 

What Is Expedited Processing?

Expedited processing would push your application from the waiting status to actually being reviewed. There is no guarantee that once your application is reviewed that you will receive the visa or green card you are seeking. 

However, it does help you to avoid a long wait for an answer. You cannot ask for expedited processing simply because you are tired of waiting. You must have a legitimate reason for making the request. 

What Are Some Reasons to File a Request?

In order to be eligible to request expedited processing of your application, you must have a compelling reason. 

For instance, you can ask for expedited processing so that you can leave the country to see an immediate family member who is dying. During the green card process, if you are already in the country, it is recommended that you do not leave until the application is processed. 

You could also ask for expedited processing if you have a medical procedure coming up that would leave you unable to attend upcoming meetings with immigration officials. 

Talk to your immigration attorney to learn if your particular situation would meet the criteria for expedited processing. There are many more scenarios in which it is allowable and you might qualify for it. 

How Can You Request Expedited Processing?

To make your request, you need to compose a letter detailing why you need expedited processing. The letter must include personal information, such as your date of birth, case number, and any other identifying information you have. 

It is important that in addition to explaining why you need the expedited processing, you explain what can happen if you do not have it. For instance, you could cite the possible death of a loved one before you are able to return and visit him or her. 

Your request needs to be sent by certified mail. If you do not receive any information within the next 30 days about your request, send a follow-up letter. 

It is important that your letter hit the right tone. Your immigration lawyer has experience with writing requests and can help you present the best case.